Richmond will have in place a detailed COVID-19 safety plan for each voting place during the May 29 by-election.
Photo by Chung Chow
Detailed COVID-19 safety plan will be in place for Richmond by-election
Published 10:27 PDT, Tue May 4, 2021
Last Updated: 2:13 PDT, Wed May 12, 2021
The City of Richmond is committed to delivering a safe and physically distanced by-election during the COVID-19 pandemic. For the Richmond 2021 By-Election, the City’s COVID-19 safety plan for each voting place will make sure the by-election is conducted in a manner that is safe for voters, candidates, candidate representatives, and election staff.
Working with election staff, a health and safety consultant conducted a thorough risk assessment for all aspects of the by-election and a detailed City of Richmond 2021 By-Election COVID-19 Safety Plan was developed along with site specific safety plans for each voting place.
In terms of voting locations, controls have been established to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 between voters, candidate representatives and staff. These include:
• risk assessments and controls;
• cleaning and hygiene practices;
• additional staff to ensure health and safety measures, and efficient processing of the public at voting locations;
• a vote by mail option is available for all eligible Richmond voters, including residents of care homes; and
• 10 advance voting opportunities will be offered over four days.
Site specific safety plans also take into consideration:
• total unencumbered voting space with election staff present;
• safe room capacity for electors, candidate representatives, and staff;
• appropriate access and egress;
• optimum “flow” from entrance to exit, eliminating the need to cross rooms;
• an ability to accommodate curbside voting; and
• having staff and processes in place to manage elector line-ups.
The by-election COVID-19 safety plans and other information related to the Saturday, May 29 by-election are available on the Elections website at richmond.ca/electionservices.
$9.99 for 8 slices of classic pizza or a whole pizza (Hawaiian, Pepperoni, Veggie)
FreshSlice - Near Seafair Centre
Use any of our home staging service and get a second month rental for free!