BC has now installed automated speed enforcement equipment at all 35 planned sites around the province. Nine of these intersections are in Richmond.
Photo screen grab from google
New speed cameras installed around BC
Published 11:47 PDT, Wed April 1, 2020
Last Updated: 2:13 PDT, Wed May 12, 2021
New Intersection Safety Cameras have been installed at 35 sites across BC.
All 35 planned cameras are in place, and 34 are now operational on a 24/7 basis. Each is accompanied by warning signs to deter speeding drivers.
The program has issued more than 20,000 speeding tickets since the first cameras were installed at the end of July 2019. The fastest ticketed vehicle clocked 174 km/h where the posted speed limit was 80 km/h.
The equipment captures images and speeds of the fastest vehicles passing through monitored intersections on red, yellow and green lights.
Tickets carry fines but no penalty points. Officers review each digital image to confirm the applicable Motor Vehicle Act charge or charges. The registered owner of a vehicle that speeds through a red light at an intersection with a speed-activated camera would face fines for speeding and for running a red light.
Richmond has nine cameras, located at the following intersections:
• Alderbridge Way at Garden City Road (Red Light)
• Alderbridge Way at Shell Road (Red Light)
• Blundell Road at Gilbert Road (Red Light)
• Cambie Road at No. 5 Road (Red Light)
• Garden City Road at Cambie Road (Red Light and Speed)
• No. 3 Road at Blundell Road (Red Light)
• No. 5 Road at Westminster Hwy (Red Light)
• Westminster Hwy at Garden City Road (Red Light)
• Westminster Hwy at No. 3 Road (Red Light)
A map showing all of BC’s Intersection Safety Camera sites, as well as municipal and regional lists, can be found here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/public-safety/intersection-safety-cameras/where-the-cameras-are