Large retail theft operation in Richmond nets 32 arrests
Published 10:50 PDT, Fri June 28, 2019
Last Updated: 10:52 PDT, Fri June 28, 2019
The Richmond RCMP Prolific Offender Suppression Team successfully spearheaded a large scale retail theft operation in June combining with officers from the property crime unit and patrol.
Security representatives from Richmond Centre Mall, Lansdowne Mall, Toys R Us, London Drugs, TJX Canada, Overwaitea Food Group, Superstore, Apple Store, The Bay, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Walmart all participated, along with our community partners from Metro Vancouver Transit Police.
On June 19 and 20, multiple arrests resulted from the combined efforts by police and loss prevention officers.
• 32 suspects were arrested
• 4 suspects were youths
• 9 suspects had no permanent residence or were of no fixed address
• Most suspects were from outside of Richmond
• Some suspects had pre-existing outstanding warrants from jurisdictions outside Richmond
• Some subjects had previous conditions from prior arrests. 4 such breaches were observed.
• The most popular items that were stolen were: meat, liquor, candy, and clothing
“Almost two-thirds of those arrested in this operation weren’t from Richmond. A large majority of the suspects were well-known to police. One was apprehended twice on the same day for theft. Another suspect that we arrested was identified from a previous retail theft operation we conducted,” says Sgt. Simon Lee, NCO i/c Richmond RCMP Property Crime Unit.
“If you are a criminal and you come to Richmond for the sole purpose of committing a crime, we will catch you” he says.
$9.99 for 8 slices of classic pizza or a whole pizza (Hawaiian, Pepperoni, Veggie)
FreshSlice - Near Seafair Centre