A 70-year-old woman was hit by a car while crossing the street last night.
Photo by Hannah Scott
Pedestrian struck in Richmond
Published 12:49 PST, Wed December 30, 2020
Last Updated: 12:51 PST, Wed December 30, 2020
A 70-year-old woman was hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Buswell Street and Westminster Highway just after 5 p.m. Dec. 29.
Richmond RCMP said alcohol and speed do not appear to be factors. The driver remained on scene. The woman was transported to a local area hospital and is expected to survive her injuries.
“This accident was very preventable,” said Cst. Kenneth Lau. “Drivers, please take extra care to anticipate any possible pedestrians, especially in the downtown core. Pedestrians, when at all possible, please use marked crosswalks, follow traffic signals, and take extra caution when you cross the road."
Police also advise:
- Trying to be visible for drivers. Do not hide behind poles, bus shelters, or anything that may obstruct a driver’s view of you as they approach the intersection.
- Wearing bright or reflective clothing at night or in low-light conditions is highly recommended.
- Use marked crosswalks in well-lit intersections whenever possible.
- Obey traffic control signals, and do not attempt to cross the road until you have the signal to do so. Drivers may not anticipate anyone crossing the road while they have right-of-way.
- When you have your signal to proceed, look both ways before crossing to make sure drivers approaching the intersection are slowing or stopped for you.
- Never assume a driver can see you: confirm this by making eye contact with the driver so they acknowledge your intent to cross.
- Even while crossing, continue to look both ways, in case there are new vehicles approaching the crossing who may not see you.
- Do not assume cars will stop just because you are crossing or you may have right of way.
- If you see another vehicle approaching while you are in the middle of crossing, pause and make sure you make eye contact with that driver as well so they know to slow down or stop for you. Do not continue crossing until this approaching vehicle has also slowed and stopped.
Anyone with information or dash cam footage can contact the Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212 or Richmond_CCIT@rcmp-grc.gc.ca. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or www.solvecrime.ca, quoting file number 2020-35425.
$9.99 for 8 slices of classic pizza or a whole pizza (Hawaiian, Pepperoni, Veggie)
FreshSlice - Near Seafair Centre
Use any of our home staging service and get a second month rental for free!