Provincial News

Iranian-Canadian man on day trip to U.S. day says he faced discrimination

By The Canadian Press

Published 1:27 PST, Tue January 7, 2020

VANCOUVER — Sam Sadr's first trip to the United States from his home in North Vancouver was supposed to be a relaxing getaway but he says his birth in Iran made him a target at the border, where he was detained for over eight hours with his family.

Sadr, 39, said U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officials questioned him about everything from his sister's and brother's birth dates to where he'd gone to school. They also asked whether anyone in his family had a role in any army, navy or military service or Iran's political affairs.

"I'm a tourist, not a terrorist. I'm not a member of anything," he said in an interview, adding he left Tehran at age seven and grew up in Japan before moving to Canada about 18 years ago.

"I have a Canadian passport, but it says I'm born in Iran."

That was enough for border personnel to question him on Saturday, he said, as tensions rose between the United States and Iran following the recent death of Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani in a U.S. drone attack in Baghdad, triggering vows of retaliation.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officials have denied questioning Iranian-Canadian and Iranian-American travellers returning from Canada during a secondary screening process at the border. The agency does acknowledge operating under an "enhanced posture" as a result of the current threat environment.

Officials at the Peace Arch border crossing attributed the long delays to staff shortages.

Sadr said he twice asked why it was necessary for him and his family to be detained for so long.

"I just asked, 'Can I get my passport and go home, back to Vancouver?' They said, 'No, we have to get the order from head office.' "

By the time Sadr and his family were allowed to leave, it was too late to go to Seattle, he said.

Instead, they crossed into Washington for two hours, only to find a place to eat after not being offered any food during their 8 1/2 hours at the border, he said.

"This is the first time I tried to step into the U.S., so I'm not happy with this," he said.

Sadr said he won't return to the U.S. until there's a resolution of the political turmoil between the U. S. and Iran.

"I wish peace will come back so we can go without any discrimination," he said.

American immigration lawyer Len Saunders said Monday that several of his clients, including some from Canada and all of Persian descent, were made to wait for upwards of five hours and answer unusually intrusive questions Saturday before being allowed into the U.S. They include an Iranian-born naturalized U.S. citizen and a Canadian resident who holds a green card in order to work south of the border, said Saunders.

Posts on social media reported delays that lasted eight to 10 hours.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, a Democrat who represents a district in Washington state, said she believes the delays were fallout from last week's U.S. airstrike in Baghdad. She plans to reintroduce a bill to better protect the rights of all American citizens to legal representation when they're being held for hours without probable cause.

– Camille Bains, The Canadian Press

See more community news

  See All

See more canada news

See All

See more international news

  See All
© 2020 Richmond Sentinel News Inc. All rights reserved. Designed by Intelli Management Group Inc.